Mr. Wolfson focuses on providing counsel to foreign and domestic clients seeking to mitigate their regulatory, criminal, and reputational risk arising from financial crime investigations. Mr. Wolfson’s practice area has a particular emphasis on economic sanctions and anti-money laundering regulations. As an experienced prosecutor and trial attorney, his practice also includes representing companies and individuals in white-collar criminal matters and internal investigations.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Wolfson was an Executive Director at JP Morgan Chase & Co., where he held multiple senior positions in the banks Anti-Money Laundering and Global Sanctions programs. Among them, Mr. Wolfson served as JP Morgan’s Suspicious Activity Reporting Control Officer, overseeing the firm’s Global Suspicious Activity Reporting program. In the firm’s Global Sanctions program, Mr. Wolfson led a firm-wide sanctions risk assessment, and oversaw its sanctions compliance advisory and investigations teams.
In the public sector, Mr. Wolfson served for more than eight years as an Assistant District Attorney at the New York County District Attorney’s Office and was appointed by the District Attorney to serve as the Attorney-in-Charge of International Investigations. Mr. Wolfson led numerous investigations and prosecutions of global financial institutions, including Lloyds TSB, Credit Suisse, Barclays, ING, and Standard Chartered, among others, for violations of U.S. Sanctions laws. The resolution of multiple matters that Mr. Wolfson prosecuted resulted in record monetary fines and required financial institutions to materially reform their compliance controls. In addition, Mr. Wolfson led global investigations into illicit activities of entities on the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) List of Specially Designated Nationals (the “SDN List”). These investigations directly led to multiple entities and individuals being added to the OFACs SDN List.
Mr. Wolfson served as a Trial Attorney with the US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, where he worked on matters and participated in a trial involving fraud and price fixing in the municipal bond industry.
- Proficient in Mandarin Chinese
- Speaker, December 2014 - American Conference Institute, Economic Sanctions Boot Camp
- Executive Director, JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Trial Attorney, United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division
- Attorney-in-Charge of International Investigations, New York Country District Attorney’s Office
Publications & Events
- Four Things Businesses Should Know About the Agreement with IranJuly 2015
- Briefing: A Flood of Dollars: Will the Thaw in US-Cuban Relations Lead to the Return of Billions of Dollars to Entities Worldwide?February 25, 2015
In the News
It would not be out of the ordinary, then, for a VEB official to have brief courtesy meetings with New York bankers about continuing business, though they would not be allowed to discuss new bond deals, said Aaron Wolfson, a partner at Lewis Baach who previously worked at JPMorgan and prosecuted banks for skirting sanctions.The New York Times, June 4, 2017
- “NOW WHAT” – AN ARTICLE THAT ANSWERS THE QUESTION, “AFTER SANCTIONS ARE LIFTED, HOW DO I GET MY MONEY BACK?”
*Mr. Francos contributing author and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.KYC360, April 4, 2016
- Law 360, March 30, 2016
- The Wall Street Journal, March 9, 2016
- Complex Financial Disputes
- Defensa en Asuntos Criminales Económicos
- Delitos Financieros y Compliance
- Disputas Financieras Complejas
- Disputas Internacionales
- Ética Profesional y Empresaria
- Financial Crimes Compliance
- Internal Investigations
- International Asset Tracing and Investigation
- International Disputes
- Investigaciones Internas
- Professional and Business Ethics
- Rastreo Internacional de Bienes e Investigación
- White Collar Defense
- Duke University School of Law (J.D. 2003)
- Duke University School of Law (L.L.M. 2003)
- Duke University (B.A. 1998)
- New York