Ari Jaffess is an Intellectual Property and commercial litigator. Ari has been involved in cases at all stages of litigation, from pre-trial investigation to discovery to trial and appeal. Ari’s Intellectual Property experience involves a broad spectrum of technology including software, business methods, electronics, mechanical devices, medical devices, and chemistry.
Ari also performs counseling and opinion work including searches and analysis of third-party patents for potential infringement issues. Ari is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and prepares and prosecutes domestic and international patent applications. Ari has also worked on trademark and copyright matters.
Outside of his Intellectual Property practice, Ari has experience in a wide range of matters including general commercial litigation and arbitration, qui tam litigation, bankruptcy, receivership, anti-competition agreements, asset tracing, and judgment enforcement.
Ari has a background in computer science and software engineering. Prior to attending law school, Ari worked as an Internet consultant developing web applications and managing teams of developers. His technical expertise includes web-based programming and development, user interface design, database design and programming, and audio and video editing, compression, and streaming.
Prior to joining Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss, Ari was an associate at a large New York law firm.
Representing Internet broadcasting company in connection with patent infringement matters brought on its behalf, related to streaming media delivery systems
Representing patent holder in connection with patent infringement matter brought on its behalf against Fortune 100 company, related to real time vehicle guidance and traffic forecasting
- Representing patent holder in connection with patent infringement matter brought on its behalf against Fortune 100 company, related to automatic user interface generation for large databases
- Represented patent holder in multiple actions asserting patent infringement related to orthopedic medical devices against large medical device companies
- Represented patent holder in infringement suit against Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company related to chemical technology
- Represented Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company in arbitration over breach of contract and related trade secret claim
- Represented Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in performing freedom-to-operate/product clearance investigations for pipeline medical devices
- Represented patent holder in infringement suit regarding Internet postage system
- Served as Counsel to receiver on multiple receiverships, advising receiver on issues ranging from labor and employment law, contract disputes, ongoing litigation, regulatory issues, and Intellectual Property issues
- Served as member of two teams that acted as counsel to trustee in multiple high-profile bankruptcies
In the News
- Press Release: Woodsford Litigation Funding to provide international litigation boutique Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss PLLC with innovative $20m global portfolio financing facility
Woodsford Litigation Funding, one of the leading global third party funders, has announced a funding facility agreement with Lewis Baach which ensures the firm can offer clients an expedited, one-stop arrangement for the financing of high value litigation and arbitration.August 16, 2017
- Law360, February 22, 2016
- New York University School of Law (J.D., 2007); NYU Journal of Law & Business (Managing Editor 2006-2007)
- University of Pennsylvania (B.S.E., Computer Science, cum laude, 2000)
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., Economics, cum laude, 2000)
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey