Mr. Francos* is a lawyer from the Argentine Republic specializing in international litigation, complex financial disputes and alternative dispute resolution, as well as investigations and white-collar defense.
Mr. Francos provides counsel to foreign clients, focusing on matters relating to individuals and corporations in Latin America. He is often called upon to assist Latin American clients in navigating the U.S. legal system. He has defended an Argentine corporation in a breach of contract action related to a technology transfer agreement in a Delaware court and also has represented almost three hundred investors against an important international financial companies in an effort to recover funds diverted in relation with the Madoff fraud. He assisted one of the largest Argentine banks in the recovery of funds from the Lehman Brothers liquidation, assisted one of the most significant Argentine business conglomerates in a dispute with a hedge fund arising from the Madoff fraud and also represented one of the most important airport operators worldwide in a commercial arbitration related to the duty-free shops business. He currently represents an individual in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) investigation related to the largest case in the history of FCPA enforcement. He is also currently involved in the representation of a U.S. individual in a multi-million dollar asset recovery case in Central America.
Mr. Francos currently heads the firm’s Buenos Aires office. He previously spent six years with the largest law firm in Argentina, acted as the Chief of Staff to a head member of the Legislature of the City of Buenos Aires, and practiced as a foreign attorney with another prestigious U.S. law firm. Mr. Francos' native language is Spanish.
* Admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.
- Colegio de Abogados de la Capital Federal, (Buenos Aires Bar)
- International Bar Association
- White & Case LLP, Washington D.C., Foreign Attorney
- Chief of Staff for Representative Martín Borrelli, City of Buenos Aires Legislature
- Marval, O Farrell & Mairal, Buenos Aires, Attorney
Publications & Events
- Lecturer, FCPA Principles
Cristián Francos lectured on FCPA principles at the University of Buenos Aires School of Law’s Masters program in Criminal Law, Corporate Criminal Liability and Compliance section.University of Buenos Aires School of Law, September 3, 2019
Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss partner Cristián Francos spoke at ACI's Anti-Corruption Compliance for High Risk Markets conference on July 24, 2019 in Washington, D.C.Washington, D.C., July 24, 2019
Cristián Francos served as Organising Committee Head for the 22nd Transnational Crime Conference in Buenos Aires.Buenos Aires, Argentina, May 15-17, 2019
- Briefing: The Globalization of Corruption: How the Cuadernos Case Raises Legal Issues Beyond Argentine Borders
Many people outside of Argentina, as well as those within, have watched in wonder as the explosive investigation of the Cuadernos case evolves and touches upon more and more individuals and companies. Recent experience has taught us that investigations of this magnitude are never contained within a country’s borders and individuals and companies that have done, or are doing, business in Argentina must consider the civil and criminal ramifications of the growing corruption scandal regardless of their own culpability.August 31, 2018
The increasing global focus on corruption has led to stronger international cooperation and coordination among regulators, resulting in landmark enforcement actions in new jurisdictions. [...] This panel offered private and public sector prespectives on the latest enforcement trends, the key elements of the new anti-corruption laws, and what all this means for businesses and individuals involved in transnational corruption cases.Krakow, Poland, May 16, 2018
- Cambió el escenario. Llegó el momento. Implementar un programa de integridad anticorrupción sólido no implica reinventar la pólvoraNovember 2017
- Speaker: IBA Transnational Crime Conference in PanamaMay 2016
- Briefing: A Flood of Dollars: Will the Thaw in US-Cuban Relations Lead to the Return of Billions of Dollars to Entities Worldwide?February 25, 2015
- September 22, 2014
- March 2014
- May 16, 2013
- Briefing: Ralph Lauren Corruption Enforcement Action Allegedly Involving Inappropriate Payments to Argentine Customs Officials Demonstrates the Benefits of Effective ControlsApril 24, 2013
- April 9, 2013
- "Eli Lilly Settlement Reinforces the Need for Active Anti-Corruption Controls"January 2, 2013
- November 29, 2012
- November 22, 2012
- July 25, 2012
- "Supreme Court Action Reinforces the Difficulty in Piercing Sovereign Immunities"June 26, 2012
- "Regulators Turn Their Attention to FCPA Violations by Investment Advisers"May 23, 2012
- "U.S. Appeals Court Bolsters U.S. Discovery In Aid Of Foreign Proceedings"March 19, 2012
- "Petrobras Wins Immunity in U.S. Bond Case"March 14, 2012
- "Judge Griesa's Ruling in NML Capital: A U.S. Judge Wades Deep Into the Argentine Political System"April 2010
- "The El Paso Ruling and its Effect on the Use of §1782 in Private International Arbitration Proceedings"September 2009
- "Is Argentina the Next Hub of Money Laundering and What are the Consequences for International Business?"December 2008
- "What Can Madoff Investors do to Maximize the Recovery of Their Assets?"December 2008
- "Potential Implications of the Lehman Brothers Insolvency for Latin American Financial Institutions"
Authored by Eric L. Lewis, Manuel S. Varela and Cristían Francos.October 2008
- "Insider Trading in Argentina: The Legal Framework, Enforcement, International Cooperation & Selected Case Studies"October 2008
- "The Availability of U.S. Discovery in Foreign Litigation: How Foreign Parties in Foreign Litigation can Obtain the Assistance of U.S. Courts"
Authored by Eric L. Lewis, Manuel S. Varela and Cristián Francos.October 2007
- "The Expanding Reach of United States Law: Extraterritorial Enforcement and Compliance Obligations of International Business"
Presented by Eric L. Lewis, Manuel S. Varela & Cristián Francos.August 2007
In the News
Partner Cristián Francos* was highlighted by Global Investigations Review as a lawyer of note and a member of Argentina's investigations bar.
*Mr. Francos is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.August 23, 2019
- Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss Files Amended Lawsuit Against Trust Services Company Amicorp Alleging They Are Involved in a Multi-Million-Dollar Real Estate Investment Ponzi Scheme Fraud in South Florida
An amended complaint filed in Miami-Dade County alleges that Amicorp, an international trust services company, actively participated in a multi-million-dollar real estate fraud which victimized many Latin American families.www.businesswire.com, July 3, 2019
Partners Manuel Varela and Cristián Francos* authored a paper on the Argentine Notebooks investigation which was quoted in Argentina’s La Nación.
*Mr. Francos is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.La Nación, November 4, 2018
Mr. Francos* was quoted in the article saying, “If someone received a bribe, then someone had to have paid the bribe,” he said. “Companies should be well prepared [to be investigated].” He continued to say, many Argentinian companies that are contracted by the state do not have established policies in terms of compliance and integrity, and will likely rush to put together new compliance programmes. Francos said “this shock could be good” to improve standards quickly. “This [scenario] creates a problem for companies, but also an opportunity that will bring change to Argentina’s business culture,” he said.
*Mr. Francos is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.Global Investigations Review, November 13, 2017
En Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss asesoran a clientes internacionales en litigios también internacionales, investigaciones y compliance. "Nuestra práctica trasciende las fronteras de los Estados Unidos permanentemente. En mi caso, me dedico a asesorar clientes latinoamericanos respecto de sus necesidades legales en los Estados Unidos", dice Cristian Francos*, socio de la firma y su cara en la Argentina.El Cronista, June 7, 2017
Mr. Francos authored the article and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.La Nacion, May 29, 2017
Manuel Varela and Cristián Francos* were interviewed by AUNO legal magazine on Litigation Funding
Manuel Varela y Cristián Francos* fueron entrevistados por la revista legal AUNO respecto del financiamiento de litigiosAUNO, February 2017
- Extradition in Tuzman case shows how U.S. prosecutors want to get suspects back to America to stand trial
Mr. Francos is quoted in the article and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.Inside Counsel, July 20, 2016
- “NOW WHAT” – AN ARTICLE THAT ANSWERS THE QUESTION, “AFTER SANCTIONS ARE LIFTED, HOW DO I GET MY MONEY BACK?”
*Mr. Francos contributing author and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.KYC360, April 4, 2016
- A former Siemens executive became the first person to plead guilty to U.S. criminal charges of helping run a bribery campaign that moved tens of millions of dollars to Argentine officials in connection with a $1 billion national ID card project.
Mr. Francos is mentioned in the article and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.Law360, September 30, 2015
- De a poco se abre espacio para la actividad jurídica en relación a la isla. Lewis Baach abre el juego con el recupero de fondos congelados.
Mr. Francos is quoted in the article and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.Auno Abogados, March 2015
AUNO Abogados magazine interview with Manuel Varela and Cristián Francos* on Lewis Baach’s practice for clients in Argentina and the rest of Latin America.AUNO, June 2014
Ariel Neuman, Natalia Alonso and Alfredo Veronesi, reporters from AUNO Legal Magazine, interviewed Manuel Varela and Cristián Francos* regarding the Lewis Baach PLLC Latin American practice and it's Buenos Aires office as well as the careers of Messrs. Varela and Francos.April 29, 2014
Mr. Francos is featured in the article and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.AUNO, March 2013
- Juristas norteamericanos y chilenos analizaron avances en materia de regulación del lavado de dinero
Mr. Francos is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.March 25, 2013
Mr. Francos is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.AUNO, September 2012
Mr. Francos is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.ABC Digital, March 16, 2012
- ABC Digital, March 16, 2012
- Perfil, January 11, 2009
- El Cronista, December 1, 2008
- El Cronista, December 1, 2008
- El Cronista, June 2, 2008
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., with distinction, Dean’s list, 2015)
- American University (International Arbitration, 2006)
- Universidad Torcuato Di Tella (M.A., International Studies, 2003)
- Universidad de Buenos Aires (J.D. 2000)
- Buenos Aires