Michael Lewis focuses on both obtaining and enforcing the intellectual property of individual and corporate clients, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. A registered patent attorney, Mr. Lewis has over ten years of experience assisting his clients in obtaining patents across a wide range of technologies, including semiconductors and related processes, digital electronics, telecommunications, control software, biomedical devices, business methods, and the mechanical arts. Mr. Lewis also counsels clients in registering their trademarks and copyrights and advises on intellectual property management issues, such as licensing, patent portfolio management strategies, non-infringement opinions, clearance opinions, and the protection of trade secrets.
In addition to securing intellectual property, Mr. Lewis has worked extensively in the enforcement of these rights, having litigated cases involving breach of contract, unfair competition, trade secrets, trademark infringement, and both utility and design patent infringement.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Lewis worked as a programmer in various fields, including the development of guidance software and related systems software for hydrographic surveying operations.
Prior to joining Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss, Mr. Lewis was an associate at a prominent New York law firm.
Pro Bono and Community Service
Mr. Lewis has worked with Start Small Think Big, advising small business owners on various intellectual property issues. He was also a Peach Corps volunteer in Kenya, where he served as a math and physics teacher for two years in a rural high school.
Publications & Events
- Co-author, "Federal Circuit Applies a Reasonableness Standard to the Knowledge of Infringement Prong,"The Intellectual Property Strategist, July 2016
- Co-Author, "Apple's iPhone User Interface Held Functional for Trade Dress Infringement, But Not Design Patent Purposes,"The Intellectual Property Strategist, July 2015
In the News
- Press Release: Woodsford Litigation Funding to provide international litigation boutique Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss PLLC with innovative $20m global portfolio financing facility
Woodsford Litigation Funding, one of the leading global third party funders, has announced a funding facility agreement with Lewis Baach which ensures the firm can offer clients an expedited, one-stop arrangement for the financing of high value litigation and arbitration.August 16, 2017
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D. 2006)
- University of California, Berkeley (B.A. 1991)
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey