In the News Archive
- October 1, 2015www.law360.comLaw360
- September 30, 2015A former Siemens executive became the first person to plead guilty to U.S. criminal charges of helping run a bribery campaign that moved tens of millions of dollars to Argentine officials in connection with a $1 billion national ID card project.
Mr. Francos is mentioned in the article and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.www.law360.comLaw360
- September 30, 2015Press Release: Retired Military Officials Tell Court that Contractors' Abuse of Prisoners at Abu Ghraib Violated Clearly Established Military Standards
- September 20, 2015Eric Lewis says Donald Trump is giving credence to those who stigmatize America's Muslims. He says such rhetoric is hateful and dangerous.cnn.com
- September 18, 2015ABC.go.com
- September 15, 2015www.tulsaworld.comTulsa World
- September 15, 2015Crime, Fear, and the Republicans: Can the GOP Interest in Criminal Justice Reform Survive Donald Trump?www.themarshallproject.org
- September 10, 2015Lewis Baach files amicus brief challenging death penalty secrecy law on behalf of Doctors for the Ethical Practice of Medicine
- September 10, 2015Fox 25 KOKH-TV Oklahoma City
- August 11, 2015Law360
- July 28, 2015Fayis al-Kandari has been held without charge for 14 years in US prison in Cuba, where he was allegedly tortured.www.aljazeera.comAljazeera
- July 16, 2015Policyholders without cyber cover are looking to general liability policies to make claims in the event of data breacheswww.insuranceday.comInsurance Day
- May 30, 2015Mohammed Soltan was convicted of financing anti-goverment protest amid proceedings his lawyers describe as ‘a Kafkaesque political show trial’www.theguardian.comThe Guardian
- May 30, 2015www.bbc.co.ukBBC World Service Newshour
- May 27, 2015Reuters
- April 12, 2015The United States has come under criticism for not doing enough to secure Mohamed Soltan's release from Egyptian jail.
"The case had a low profile until he started his hunger strike, with the Egyptians reluctant to even admit he was being held," said Waleed Nassar, a senior associate with Lewis Baach PLLC, the law firm representing Soltan in the US. This led to "an uphill battle where you have to prove your client exists”, Nassar told Al Jazeera.
"Some [American] congressmen told us the Egyptian ambassador denied that Egypt was holding Soltan in prison on at least two occasions," said Nassar, who specialises in international dispute resolution.www.aljazeera.com/newsAljazeera
- March 23, 2015La Vanguardia
- March 2015De a poco se abre espacio para la actividad jurídica en relación a la isla. Lewis Baach abre el juego con el recupero de fondos congelados.
Mr. Francos is quoted in the article and is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.Auno Abogados
- January 30, 2015http://blogs.wsj.comWall Street Journal
- January 2015Cover Story: The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act – Mitigating Bribery and Corruptions Risk in Financial InstitutionsABA Bank Compliance Magazine
- January 6, 2015www.napavalleyregister.comNapa Valley Register
- December 2014A Cautionary Tale for Non-U.S. Private Equity: Exposure to the Extraterritorial Reach of U.S. Sanctions,” Private Fund Dispute ResolutionPrivate Equity International (PEI)
- December 2014Expansion of U.S. Economic Sanctions Poses New Risks for InsurersInsurance Day
- December 4, 2014Former Manhattan prosecutor examines grand jury’s likely analysis in choosing not to indict in the death of Eric Garnerwww.nydailynews.comNY Daily News
- November 2014Eradicating Human Slavery: The Impact on Financial Services of Fullfilling Growing Regulatory Expectations
Learning the tell-tale signs of human trafficking transactions empowers AML investigators both to protect their institutions and to provide law enforcement real, actionable intelligence.Page 8Global Regulatory Outlook - Viewpoint 2015
- October 4, 2014Sunday ReviewNew York Times
- September 15, 2014U.S. Regulators have vowed to hold more individuals responsible for controls failures at financial institutions and the spotlight on two compliance officers has already stirred concerns in the profession about being penalized for decisions made on the jobhttp://blogs.wsj.com/riskandcomplianceThe Wall Street Journal. Risk & Compliance Journal.
- September 12, 2014The Treasury Department's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network issued guidance Thursday on recognizing financial activity that could be tied to human smuggling and human trafficking.http://blogs.wsj.com/riskandcomplianceThe Wall Street Journal. Risk and Compliance Journal
- August 21, 2014US class action lawsuit alleges high-frequency traders, exchanges, brokers and dark pool operators have committed securities law violationswww.insuranceday.comInsurance Day
- August 14, 2014www.interaksyon.comInterasksyon
- August 14, 2014www.iol.co.za/newsIOL News
- August 14, 2014Une juge fédérale a ordonné un examen médical indépendant sur un détenu de Guantanamo nourri de force.www.rtl.frRTL with AFP
- August 14, 2014http://english.al-akhbar.comAl Akhbar - English
- August 13, 2014Le Parisien
- August 13, 2014Yahoo Finance France
- August 13, 2014www.yahoo.comYahoo News
- August 13, 2014Societe Generale allegedly mis-sold financial products to Northern Rock that were partly to blame for UK bank's collapsewww.telegraph.co.ukThe Telegragh
- August 12, 2014www.law360.comLaw360
- August 8, 2014www.law360.comLaw360
- July 25, 2014http://bigstory.ap.orgAP
- July 2014Page 12ABA Bank Compliance
- June 30, 2014The New York Times
- June 22, 2014Smerconish on CNN
- June 2014
AUNO Abogados magazine interview with Manuel Varela and Cristián Francos* on Lewis Baach’s practice for clients in Argentina and the rest of Latin America.
*Mr. Francos is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.Page 42AUNO
- June 15, 2014Kathimerini
- June 12, 2014Court Overturns Ruling in SEC-Citicorp SettlementPage 5Insurance Day
- April 29, 2014
Ariel Neuman, Natalia Alonso and Alfredo Veronesi, reporters from AUNO Legal Magazine, interviewed Manuel Varela and Cristián Francos* regarding the Lewis Baach PLLC Latin American practice and it's Buenos Aires office as well as the careers of Messrs. Varela and Francos.
*Mr. Francos is admitted to practice only in Buenos Aires; not engaged in the practice of law in the District of Columbia.
- February 6, 2014www.litigationdaily.comThe Litigation Daily
- January 30, 2014
- December 2, 2013http://www.mainjustice.com/justanticorruption/