Brett Walter is counsel to the firm with a focus on international general corporate, restructuring and transactional matters. His experience includes more than six years as General Counsel for a Middle Eastern holding company where he is supervising the financial restructuring and settlement of approximately $6 billion in liabilities, managing the company’s legal function, and advising the Board and executive management on a wide variety of strategic and governance matters. His experience also includes leading dozens of international corporate and financial transactions relating to asset purchases and sales, joint venture formation and termination, franchising, and multinational services and logistics arrangements. Mr. Walter has counseled overseas clients on technology, real estate, and other investments within the United States and abroad, and he advises domestic and international clients on company formation and asset structuring and protection.
Mr. Walter also has years of successful experience representing clients in business disputes in the United States and abroad. He has managed complex international commercial litigation in 15 countries and has negotiated the settlement of hundreds of millions of dollars of claims for his clients.
Mr. Walter’s years of wide-ranging and varied domestic and international experience have given him a deep appreciation of the complex interplay between the initial structuring of a corporate transaction and its effective implementation. His litigation experience also gives him insight into how best to structure a deal to protect the client's interests in the event of a commercial dispute. His clients benefit from his understanding not only of the differences in the laws between countries but also the myriad cultural and practical distinctions that are critical to successful problem solving.
- General Counsel, Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Bros. (Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia) (2014-present)
- Associate then Partner, Lewis Baach PLLC (2005-2014)
- Associate, Morrison & Foerster LLP (2000-2005)
- Negotiated and completed $160 million asset sale to partner in multinational consumer goods manufacturing business
- Negotiated and completed joint venture agreement with international partner in pipeline manufacturing and service business
- Negotiated and completed multimillion-dollar investment in multiple artificial intelligence start ups
- Negotiated and completed multimillion-dollar investment in gaming start up
- Negotiated and completed multimillion-dollar restaurant franchise investment
- Negotiated and completed termination of multinational partnership in a tire distribution business
- Negotiated and completed multiple international restaurant franchise agreements
- On behalf of shipping and logistics company, negotiated and completed multiple service and logistics agreements with multinational customers
- Managed 24 private multinational arbitrations with aggregate claim value of $1.1 billion
In the News
- LBKM Further Expands Capabilities in MENA with Sports and Entertainment Practice and the Addition of Nada Hachem as Foreign Legal CounselNew engagements in the region include World Cup kick-off event in Qatar.
In recent weeks, LBKM’s Middle East practice group expanded its reach to help launch a large-scale, multi-day event in Qatar to kick off the World Cup 2022. As part of these efforts, LBKM’s Sports and Entertainment group led negotiations with various talent agencies and third parties, managing myriad legal and logistical issues to bring together such public figures as Trevor Noah of The Daily Show; Jalen Rose and David Jacoby of ESPN; and NBA Hall of Famer Tracy McGrady. The event served to promote cross-cultural understanding and demonstrate the ways in which sports and entertainment can be used to bridge cultural divides and effect social change.December 1, 2021