Top transnational insurers and corporations count on Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss to favorably resolve their most challenging, high-stakes reinsurance problems.
Our full-service international reinsurance practice gives you deeply experienced counsel and innovative solutions in a wide variety of substantive reinsurance matters. We are skilled in arbitration, litigation, audits, claims monitoring, and coverage evaluation, tackling issues of allocation, accumulation, follow-the-fortunes, role of the intermediary, reinsurance contract interpretation, and more.
We often work closely with British colleagues to find creative and sophisticated answers to complex reinsurance disputes that span both U.S. and U.K. jurisdictions. For example, we obtained a forum non conveniens dismissal of a suit brought in New Jersey by a domestic reinsurer against its British cedant. We also helped resolve a marine cargo contract dispute between a British facultative reinsurer and a domestic insurer, partnering with British counsel to bring suit in the U.K. In another matter, we assisted a U.S. insurer in obtaining substantial contribution from a foreign insurer on a complex latex-gloves loss, forging a deal with British reinsurers of the foreign insurer.
We also advise reinsurers on strategic planning to address the reinsurance implications in the U.S. asbestos litigation crisis.
In the News
- US class action lawsuit alleges high-frequency traders, exchanges, brokers and dark pool operators have committed securities law violationsInsurance Day, August 21, 2014
- Shareholder lawsuit against Barclays could become template for other legal actionsInsurance Day, August 16, 2012
- Insurance Day, June 21, 2012
- Insurance Day, April 26, 2012
- Insurance Day, April 12, 2012
- Insurance Day, March 22, 2012
- Insurance Day, February 16, 2012