Martin Baach has wide-ranging domestic and international experience as a litigator, mediator and leader of multi-party negotiations. In the course of a 40-year practice, Mr. Baach has established an impeccable track record in assisting clients as they navigate the most complex legal and strategic challenges. He represents London Market and domestic U.S. insurers and reinsurers, major corporations, and professionals in law and medicine, and has developed and directed national litigation strategies for both London Market Insurers and large U.S. corporations. He has represented the London Insurance Market for over thirty years, building a reputation for achieving results through litigation and negotiation while providing London Market Insurers strategic counseling and advice to develop systemic solutions to complex problems such as the asbestos litigation crisis. Mr. Baach assembled, organized, and directed a team of nationally recognized government affairs experts in successful state and federal legislative efforts.
Mr. Baach has participated in scores of mediations and multi-party negotiations, consistently achieving successful resolutions to the most difficult disputes. Well known as a skilled draftsman, his work product is used as a model for high-stakes settlements. His achievements in developing and directing national litigation strategies for large corporations are recognized as standard-setting.
Mr. Baach also has extensive experience in successful representation of lawyers and in legal and business ethics issues. He assists individuals and firms in resolving sensitive ethics and professional liability matters.
Chambers USA (2008-2021) has recognized Mr. Baach as one of the leading attorneys in Washington, D.C. for insurance matters. Mr. Baach was selected by Washington D.C. Super Lawyers (2007-2020) as one of "The Top Attorneys" in Insurance Coverage.
- Member of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Committee on Grievances (2008-2013); Vice-Chair (2012); Chair (2013)
- Member of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals Board on Professional Responsibility (2002-2007); Chair (2004-2007)
- Member, University of Cincinnati College of Law, Board of Visitors (2009-present)
- Former Board Member, BB&T, Washington DC Region Board of Directors
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Member, Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Member, American Bar Association, and District of Columbia and West Virginia Bar Associations
Publications & Events
- Chambers recognizes Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss and Martin Baach in the area of insurance for 2021
Chambers and Partners has again recognized Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss in the area of insurance, including both the firm's insurance practice and Martin Baach in its District of Columbia rankings for 2021.
- March 2013
- "Federal Court Allows Lloyd's Underwriters to Bring Class Action to Establish Diversity Jurisdiction"September 26, 2012
- "The Battle Over Equitas: A Reply"
Martin R. Baach and Joseph L. Ruby, Insurance Coverage Litigation Report, Vol. 11, Issue 28, Pages 653-656.September 15, 2001
- "Equitas: Setting the Record Straight"
Martin R. Baach & John B. Haarlow, Mealey's Litigation Report: Insurance, Vol. 13, #22.April 13, 1999
In the News
Chambers and Partners has again ranked Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss as a leading law firm in the area of insurance.June 2022
Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss PLLC is pleased to announce that three of its lawyers have been named to the 2020 Washington, DC Super Lawyers list. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in each state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.April 17, 2020
Six LBKM professionals have been selected to the 2019 New York and Washington, DC Super Lawyers lists - an honor limited to 5 percent of the lawyers in each state. In addition, one LBKM professional has been selected to the 2019 New York Rising Stars list.October 2019
- Shadow over Republican NomineeThe Times (London), June 20, 2007
- The Plan to Take Down ThompsonThe Politico, June 13, 2007
- Thompson will Take on Outsider Role after Playing Access ManThe Washington Post, June 12, 2007
- Past as Lobbyist May Play into Future as CandidateUSA Today, June 7, 2007
- A Fair Chance?A new asbestos law is proposed in the US. Romy Comiter and Martin Baach outline what it could mean - and its chances of success.Global Reinsurance, March 2005
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (J.D., Order of the Coif, 1974), Article Editor of the Cincinnati Law Review
- Indiana University (M.A. 1971)
- Washington University (A.B. 1969)
- District of Columbia
- West Virginia
- Ohio (inactive)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S Courts of Appeals for the Third (inactive), Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits